Log in or Register to save this content for later.
- Home Rule Movement was launched by Indian Nationalists in 1916 as response & reaction to circumstances prevailing in India.
- Term Home Rule was used for first time in India by Annie Besant. It was adopted by Ireland where was similar movement was going on against British Rule.
- Home Rule Movement having two branches-
- The first branch was headed by Tilak with it’s headquarter at Pune. It’s started Home Rule Movement on 28 April 1916.
- Second branch laid by Mrs. Annie Besant was at headquartered at Adyar (near Madras). It started movement in September 1916.
- The geographical area where divided among these two branches so that supporter of both don’t clash.
- Central provinces Maharashtra except Bombay & North Karnataka were under the Poona branch laid by Tilak.
- Other part of India including Bombay was under Adyar branch laid by Annie Besant.
Factors Responsible for the Emergence of Home Rule Movement
- The colonial character of British Rule prevailing in India was the most important factor behind launching of Home Rule Movement.
- The policy of repression & suppression being followed by British created immediate circumstances for launching Home Rule Movement.
- In 1916, World War I was going on Defense of India act 1915 had replaced the normal law of land. Extreme restriction were enforced against public activities as a result of this the moral of masses was going down. The leaders like Tilak & Besant knew if no mass agitation launch immediately then the moral of common masses would get shattered completely& it would be very difficult in future to launch any struggle against British Rule. So without worrying about war tying condition Indian Nationalist decided to launch Mass Movement in 1916.
- The extreme economic hardship being faced by common masses in India was also responsible for launching of Home Rule Movement.
- Items of common use were being exported to meet need of armed forces. As a result of this, serious economic scarify had developed in India & suffering of common masses had increased enormously.
- It was the discontent produced by this suffering that forced leader like Tilak & Besant to launch Mass Movement.
Aims & Objectives of Home Rule Movement
- The fundamental objective of this movement was to convince British Rule that grants of Home rule to India (Swaraj) would be in larger British interest because self ruled India would be in better position to help Britain in war efforts.
- Movement launched to popularize idea of Home Rule among masses & to mobilize so that British could be pressurized to grant Home Rule to India.
- The movement was launched to opportunity for discontent prevailing in heart & mind of masses to come out positively so that struggle against British Rule could be compelled to grant self-rule to India.
Methods & Strategy Adopted by Home Rule Movement
- The Home Rule Movement was non-violent constitutional movement. Home Rule League didn’t want to create any difficulty for British at a time when empire was struggling to save its existence against Germany.
- Peaceful rallies were organized for mass mobilization.
- Newspapers were used to spread the message of Home Rule among masses & to carry nationalist awakening to new heights.
- Tilak used his papers the “Maratha” & “Kesari”.
- Besant used her papers “New India common wheel”.
British Response to Home Rule Movement
- In spite of the fact that Home Rule Movement was a non-violent, constitutionalist movement Government took every possible measure to suppress it.
- Provision of defense of India act 1915, were used to curve nationalism act & mass agitation.
- Newspaper act 1908 & Indian press act 1910 were used to prevent the propagation of nationalist’s agenda through newspaper.
- Circular was issued to prevent participation of student in national activity.
- Annie Besant was put under house arrest to prevent her participation in nationalist activities.
Significance of Home Rule Movement
- Home Rule Movement was one of the most significant national agitations launched in history of India’s struggle against British Rule.
- Though it failed to reach objective of attaining self rule for India. But still its significant was great.
- The environment of political passivism prevailing in India from since end of Swadeshi movement got transformed into political activism.
- Mass agitation was organized all over India.
- Anti-British discontent prevailing in the heart and mind of masses came out in open.
- Home Rule Movement raised the level of nationalism awakening to new height because lacs of Indian participated in it.
- This movement allowed extremist leaders to regain their lost mass base on the one hand & on other hand, moderate leaders got pushed into oblivion forever.
- Election of Mrs. Annie Besant as congress president in December 1917 symbolized the established of complete control on extremists on congress.
- Pressure built by Home Rule Movement forced British government to change its policy towards India.
- The British govt. didn’t grant Home Rule to India immediately but it accepted that ultimate objective of ongoing process of constitutional reform is to grant dominion status to India. This announcement was made by secretary of state of India Montague in August 1917 & it’s famously known as “August Declaration”/Montague’s.
- This declaration changed British approach towards India fundamentally because the demand of self rule was no longer called as radical revolutionary demand. Here after, it never attracted charge of edition.